Preventing the Spread of COVID-19
"Being vaccinated safely against COVID-19 should be considered an act of love of our neighbor and part of our moral responsibility for the common good."
- United States Conference of Catholic Bishops
With COVID-19 vaccinations having been available to the public for many months, the Jesuit Retreat House follows the Center for Disease Control's Interim Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People. People are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19 two weeks after having received the second dose or the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine or the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine. In its commitment to offer the Spiritual Exercises in a safe environment, JRH strongly recommends being fully vaccinated against COVID-19. As Pope Francis says, vaccination is a simple but profound way of caring for each other.
The Jesuit Retreat House has resumed whole group gatherings. This includes Masses, reconciliation and healing services, and dining. These gatherings do not ensure social distancing.
At this time, all retreatants must wear masks in public indoor settings. This includes Masses, prayer services, and common areas. (When actively eating or drinking in the dining room, masks may be removed.) All retreatants should bring masks with them. Masks must cover the nose and mouth and fit snugly against the sides of your face and under the chin.Further protocols follow:
- The retreat house asks retreatants to self-report their vaccination status when arriving. (This is recorded as fully vaccinated, partially vaccinated, not vaccinated, or prefer not to say.) As of mid-October 2021, over 95% of all retreatants report being fully vaccinated.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Use hand sanitizer, especially when entering the serving line for meals and before accessing the snack area.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or use the inside of your elbow.
- If you are sick or feeling ill, please stay home and care for your health.
- If you are diagnosed with COVID-19 within 10 days of your retreat, please promptly inform JRH.
- If a guest or employee contracts COVID-19, JRH will inform retreatants who were exposed.
A basic level of sanitizing will be done on-site by staff, but if more is desired bring the medical and/or sanitizing items you need to feel comfortable and safe during your stay.
The art room, Loyola lounge, 12-Step library, Manresa lounges, Sacred Heart and Annunciation Chapels, and exercise room are open to all retreatants. Masks must be worn in these areas, including the exercise room. Bicycles are available for use outdoors.
Be assured that JRH staff are following the above guidance during retreats.
JRH strongly recommends being vaccinated against COVID-19 unless underlying health conditions deem otherwise. Echoing sentiments of Pope Francis, the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops has stated, "being vaccinated safely against COVID-19 should be considered an act of love of our neighbor and part of our moral responsibility for the common good."